Jayna M. Voss
Co-Founder & Attorney
I decided to embark on a new journey with my Partner, Bobbi Thury, by establishing Legacy Law Firm, P.C. We later co-founded Legacy Eldercare Planning, LLC, and then Valorem, LLC. Valorem, LLC is near and dear to our hearts as we walked through the fire of starting our own businesses and have gone through the grind of maintaining and building. We also know how important the success of a business can be on our personal lives and have a ripple effect in the lives of those who surround us. Our goal is to create tailored plans for our estate planning and business clients while providing the utmost level of service. We strive to help clients, whether individuals or businesses, plan for the future and provide for and protect what is most important to them.
I was admitted to the South Dakota Bar in 1995 and began my career serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Roger L. Wollman, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. I was then hired by Woods, Fuller, Shultz & Smith, PC, where I practiced general business law. I moved to Cutler Law Firm, LLP in 2000 to focus on estate planning. I became a Partner there in 2002 and focused on estate planning and closely-related practice areas. Bobbi and I worked together for eight years at Cutler to refine and develop an estate planning group. I enjoy this area of the law because it allows me to work closely with clients, help them realize their dreams for the future, and ultimately, enjoy the peace of mind that comes from having a plan in place for the future.
I was born in Huron, South Dakota, and grew up on a farm near Wessington, South Dakota, where my parents still reside. I graduated with highest honors from South Dakota State University with a degree in Business Economics and a minor in Accounting. I then earned my law degree from the University of South Dakota School of Law in 1995, where I was a Teaching Assistant and Editor-in-Chief of the South Dakota Law Review.
My husband, Shane, and I have three daughters, Danielle, Cassandra and Sydney. In my free time, I enjoy reading, traveling and spending time with my family.
Certified Value Growth Advisor (CVGA)
Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA)
EastBank Land Company, LLC – Board of Directors; Wegner Health Science Information Center – Board of Directors; Stockyard Ag Experience – Board of Directors.
HONORS & AWARDS
Inducted as a fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel; AV® PreeminentTM peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell; recognized in Great Plains Super Lawyers® (only 5% of attorneys in South Dakota earn Super Lawyer status); and recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of trusts and estates.
- Who do I admire the most? Easy, I admire my parents. They have been married for 50+ years, they provided a loving home for me and my siblings and have instilled values and work ethics in us that I cherish very much!
- Little know facts about me? I love to play cards and board games – and I am cutthroat at ping-pong!
- When I am not spending time with my Legacy Family, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends; going to Sydney’s school activities; walking our dogs; reading and traveling
- I am a member of St. Christina’s Church
- Our furry-family members include our dogs, Kobe and Nash and our cat, Tubbs.
Some of my favorites:
- Food – Steak and pasta
- Movie – Hoosiers
- Book -Unbroken (Biography of Louis Zamperini) and The Success Principles, by Jack Canfield
- Song – There are too many good ones to choose from.
- Place – Home is always best with a beach in Hawaii as a close second